Spend more than a minute in a candle store and your stomach will probably start to feel funny. The synthetic fragrances in each candle are bad enough on their own, but they are truly overwhelming when combined together in a store setting. If you feel this sick from just a few minutes, you know these candles won’t do anything good to your home when you begin to burn them.
Synthetic candles don’t only make you feel sick, they are actually bad for your health as well. The Environmental Protection Agency has released reports about the dangers of scented candles, citing concerns about their paraffin, synthetic fragrances, lead wicks and contaminated oils.
Though they might be beautiful to look at, regular candles are a toxic source of indoor air pollution and can be just as dangerous to your body as secondhand smoke. In fact, paraffin, the main ingredient in most candles, is actually made from petroleum and needs to be chemically bleached and deodorized before it’s “safe” to burn inside your home. How safe these candles truly are is up for debate; studies have shown that burning paraffin creates benzene and toluene, two known carcinogens.
Making the problem worse, many synthetic candles come with wicks with heavy metals that release unsafe levels of toxins into the air when burned. Candle wicks are supposed to be made from cotton or paper in the United States, but studies have shown that over a third contain heavy metals as well.
There’s no need to be frightened off candles forever. There are plenty of natural varieties you can rely on instead. If you want to find a healthier alternative, make sure to look into burning organic candles instead.
Why Use Organic Candles?
Unlike other varieties, organic candles are made from all-natural ingredients, meaning that they never expose your body to toxic ingredients. Organic candles are usually made from beeswax, vegetable wax or soy-based waxes that produce a cleaner burn without toxic chemical contamination.
Instead of artificial fragrances, most organic candles are scented with essential oils that are optimally formulated to provide therapeutic benefits to your body and mind, meaning that burning your favorite candle can actually help you instead of hurt you.
Many people believe that beeswax candles are the best kind to buy. According to some research, beeswax candles produce negative ions that can be used to help purify indoor air by bonding to positive ones that are in the air from electronics, scented candles, and other parts of the modern lifestyle. By burning organic candles instead of artificially scented ones, you’ll keep the air inside your house safe and rejuvenate your mind and body in the process.
11 Organic Candles That Are Non-Toxic and Natural
Ready to try an organic candle for yourself? These beautiful options are well worth buying.
1. Red Flower Petal Topped Candles: Created with a love of science and holistic medicine, Red Flower candles are designed to be sustainable, beautiful and sensual to use. Each candle is made from vegetable waxes and dyes, and all-natural essential oils are used to create scents that inspire. Each candle is topped with dried flower petals for the final touch, and the range of scents make it easy to enjoy these natural burning candles that can burn for up to 50 hours.
2. Way Out Wax: Made in Morrisville, Vermont, Way Out Wax candles are made from one hundred percent beeswax or a combination of vegetable wax and hemp oil wax. Each wick is made from cotton or hemp, and the fragrances come from plant-based essential oils. Entirely free from GMOs and synthetic chemicals, each Way Out Wax candle can burn for 45 hours.
3. Big Dipper Wax Works: Using only 100 percent beeswax, Big Dipper candles come in a variety of shapes that make them useful for almost every occasion. Offering a long, clean burn without any added scents, Big Dipper organic candles are perfect for anyone with a sensitivity to fragrance.
4. Honey Candles: Made with 100 percent pure beeswax, Honey Candles provide a warming glow that won’t release toxins into your living space. Eco-friendly from beginning to end, the Honey Candle company supports the Foundation for the Preservation of Honey Bees and sends their leftover wax to families in need. Each organic candle has a subtle honey scent, ensuring that your home will soon be smelling as fresh as an open pasture.
5. Barr- Co Candle: Made with all-natural vegetable waxes in small batches, the artisans of Barr-Co candles take great pride in their work. Each organic candle burns up to 120 hours, and the wide variety of scents ensures you’ll be able to enjoy a candle for every occasion. Because the candles are completely vegan, no parabens or animal products are used for any part of the process.
6. Izola Candles: Hand poured into recycled glass, Izola candles are beautiful to smell and give a modern look to every home. A variety of innovative scents ensures you’ll find one to your liking, and the 100 percent vegetable wax means that there’s no concern of toxic ingredients. Each organic candle is made in the United States and is designed to burn for over 40 hours.
7. Lite+Cycle Sage Candle: Burning sage has long been known to provide countless physical and emotional health benefits, so channel that same healing power by burning a Lite+Cycle Sage-scented candle. Each candle is made with only clean, toxic-free ingredients, and 100% pure essential oils are used for the scents. Hand made in the United States, each organic candle can burn for over 65 hours.
8. Produce Candle: If you’re looking for a special candle for your kitchen, Produce Candle’s might be what you’re looking for. Each candle has a veggie theme like kale, cilantro and carrot, and they offer a subtly refreshing scent that’s great any time of the year. Each organic candle is made in the United States with an all-natural soy wax, 100 percent cotton wick and toxic free essential oils. Each candle is designed to burn for at least 60 hours.
9. Living Libations: Bring the scent of stunning wilderness spaces right to your home by enjoying the wide variety of earthy scents made available in Living Libations candles. Each organic candle is hand poured from all natural beeswax and organic essential oils that are expertly chosen for their pleasing scent combinations and ability to heal. Made from biodegradable and hypoallergenic ingredients, each 120-gram candle should burn for over 24 hours.
10. Paddywax Eco Green Soy Wax Candle: No matter if you’re buying candles for a gift or your own personal enjoyment, Paddywax will never disappoint. Each organic candle is crafted with a refreshing blend of natural ingredients that fill your home with pleasing scents. In an effort to be sustainable, each candle in the collection is created in recycled wine bottle with wood tops to keep more material out of landfills. The artisan touch is evident on every candle, and you’ll enjoy the knowledge that your purchase is helping to make the world a more creative, sustainable place.
11. AIRA Soy Candles: Stay away from artificial ingredients by choosing a AIRA soy candle instead. Every candle they create is organic, kosher and vegan, meaning that toxic, petroleum based products stay far way. The pleasing scents come from therapeutic grade essential oils, meaning this organic candle can improve your mood and help you relax as you burn them. Each candle burns clear for 110 or more hours, leaving not a trace of soot or char behind for you to clean up.