For hundreds of years now beets have been revered by societies around the world because of their amazing health benefits and versatile culinary use. As far back as the 1500s eastern European societies utilized beets to boost their health. Their greens were eaten for their high contents of fiber and vitamins, and their roots were often used as medicine. The trend of beets has continued through today, yet in a new form: powdered beetroot. Beet powder has grown in popularity as a superfood that is used by dietitians, foodies, and healthy eaters. Beet powder is extremely beneficial to your health and is packed full of the vitamins and antioxidants beets are famous for.
There are countless beet powder options on the markets nowadays, all of which vary in quality and price. It is important when shopping for beet powder that you consider the quality of the brand you intend to buy. If you want to get the most nutrients and health benefits out of beet powder as possible, it is important to find one that is of the best quality. A quality beet powder is one that is pure and free from unnecessary additives and preservatives. Powders made from organic beets are usually high in quality because no harsh chemicals make their way into the powder. Basically, the more natural and purer the beet powder, the closer it is to fresh beets and the better it is for you.
Top 10 Benefits of Beet Powder
Beet powder has amazing potential to benefit your body, immune system, and overall body function.
1. Rich in Antioxidants
Beet powder is loaded with antioxidants. Antioxidants, which can be found in many fruits and vegetables, are known for preventing or slowing cell damage caused by free radicals that cause oxidative stress. Consuming antioxidants can help prevent against diseases caused by oxidative stress, including cancer, cardiovascular disease, eye diseases, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and even diabetes.
2. Supports Heart Health and Improves High Blood Pressure
Beets also have the ability to improve heart health and blood pressure. Research conducted in 2008 showed that consuming beetroot juice significantly lowered blood pressure, likely due to beets’ high levels of nitrate. Nitrate is known for helping treat cardiovascular conditions. The same qualities can be found in beet powder.
3. Can Slow Progression of Dementia
Consuming some form of beetroot can help improve blood flow and oxygenation in the brain, two factors which have been linked to dementia in older adults. Consuming beet powder can help keep your mind sharp as you age.
4. Reduces Inflammation
Studies show that beetroot and beet powder are effective at reducing inflammation throughout the body. Beets contain choline, a nutrient that, among other benefits related to body function, reduces chronic inflammation. People who suffer from diseases that cause chronic inflammation, such as fibromyalgia, chronic Lyme disease, or IBS may find some inflammation relief in beet powder.
5. Helps Regulate Digestive System Function
Because of their high fiber content, beets are great for your digestive health. It can help regulate and sooth your digestive system, especially if you often experience constipation. Though it may not contain as much fiber as a fresh, raw beet, it still provides soluble fibers that can benefit your digestive function.
6. Packed Full of Vitamins and Minerals
Consuming a wide range of vitamins and minerals is crucial for our bodies to function properly and efficiently. Though some people in special circumstances take supplements or pills to get such nutrients, the idea is that most people can get all the vitamins and minerals they need to be healthy from a wholesome diet comprised of a variety of healthy foods. Consuming any form of beet root, such as beet powder, is a great way to naturally get your fill of some of those important nutrients. Beets are packed full of nutrients, including vitamins B6, C, and A. They also contain magnesium, folate, iron, calcium, iron, proteins, and potassium.
7. Improve Exercise and Post Exercise Condition
Beets have been said to be good for athletes and can improve their overall athletic performance. They help improve the overall circulation of oxygen throughout the body. Beet powder also contains nitrate, which has many anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce muscle and body inflammation after a heavy work out. This can also help you recover from muscle soreness you may experience after working out.
8. Help Manage Diabetes
One of the wonderful antioxidants beets contain is alpha-lipoic. This antioxidant can help lower glucose levels and increase insulin sensitivity, helping those with diabetes be able to manage their condition more easily. It can also help control blood sugar levels.
9. Can Help Improve Anemia
Beets have a high level of iron in them. So those who suffer from anemia or low iron levels benefit from eating beet powder. When deficient in iron, it is common for people to feel very tired and even light headed. Beets are a natural way to get a substantial source of iron into the diet and help boost iron levels easily and quickly.
Beets have many nutrients that help improve your body’s detoxifying process. Beets contain vitamin a, also known as beta-carotene, which helps stimulate liver. The liver is responsible for clearing out many of the toxins in your body. Beet powder can help your liver do its job well.
How to Use Beet Powder
Beet powder is such a versatile supplement and is easy to add to your daily eating routine. There are a variety of ways to consume beet powder. You can add it to your morning smoothie, mix it into salad dressings and sauces, and use it in soups. Beet powder can also be used as a natural food coloring agent in baking: a great alternative to chemical based food coloring. Keep in mind that whatever you add it to will be dyed a vibrant pink color. As for how much to add to your food, look at the serving information on the container of your beet powder. General rule of thumb is 1-3 teaspoons of beet powder per individual serving.
Are There any possible Negative Side Effects to Beet Root Powder?
Beets are safe and healthy for most people to consume and provide more benefit outcomes than harmful effects. Yet with any dietary supplement, it is important to consider any possible negative side effects from consuming beet powder. Beets do have the potential to lower calcium levels and contribute to kidney damage. So if you already experience kidney problems or calcium deficiencies, consult your doctor or nutritionist before implementing beet powder in your diet. Keep in mind that it is important to consume nutrient-rich supplements in moderation. Do not ingest more than recommended by the manufacturer of the beet powder you choose. You can usually find this information on the product’s label. A good rule of thumb is if you have any doubt about whether you should implement a supplement into your dietary routine, then have a conversation with your doctor or nutritionist to see if beet powder is a good fit for you.
Top 17 Best Beet Powder Options
There are many beet powder options to choose from. Here are some of the best beet powders to consider trying out for yourself.
1. PureBeets 100% Organic Beet Root Powder: This powder is one of the best beet powders available on the market. Its only ingredient is 100% pure, organic beetroot powder. It is made from non-GMO beets and contains no additives. All it contains is pure beets and provides you with all the great nutrients beetroots offer. It is decently priced relative to its competitors.
2. MRM Organic Beet Powder: This beet powder is raw, USDA organic, gluten-free, GMO-free and certified vegan. It contains only pure red beet powder. It uses powder from beets dehydrated at a low temperature to ensure as many vitamins and other nutrients are retained in the powder. It is affordable and made of good quality ingredients.
3. Frontier Co-Op Beet Powder: Made by the Frontier Co-Op, a globally conscious organization that provides organic products from around the world to consumers, this beet powder is organic and kosher. Though it is slightly pricey, it is of very high quality.
4. BulkSupplements Beet Root powder: BulkSupplemets provide quality, easily accessible supplements. Their beet root powder is pure and clean, containing no additives or fillers. It is even lab tested to ensure it is meeting purity and quality standards.
5. Wilson Naturals Organic Beet Root Powder: Wilson Naturals is a health brand that produces quality, well-made supplements. They place a high importance on the nutrition and quality behind each product they sell, including their organic beet powder. This beet powder is purely made from beets and contains no fillers or additives.
6. Naturevibe Botanicals Organic Beet root Powder: This beet root powder is made purely from beetroots, containing no additives, fillers, or preservatives. It is lab tested to ensure purity and quality of nutrients. Better yet, it is organic, vegan, gluten-free, and non-GMO. It is processed and packaged in India where it is sealed to ensure freshness. You can find it in a variety of sizes for a reasonable price.
7. PureClean Powder: This organic beet juice powder is a truly great option for anyone willing to spend a bit more money for extra quality. This powder is vegan, non-GMO, gluten-free, and organic. It is third party verified to ensure good quality and is made entirely in the United States. It has a mild taste that works well in water, smoothies, and more. It is specifically used by athletes to help improve athletic performance.
8. Nu-Therapy Power Beets Circulation Superfood: Nu-Therapy prides themselves on providing customers with products that will truly enhance their health and fitness routine. Their beet powder differs from those mentioned above in that rather than focusing on purity, it focuses on maximizing health benefits through adding a few other ingredients. It does not include any GMO ingredients. Also, if you love the idea of beets and all their health benefits, but are not too fond of the taste, then this is a good product to try out because it flavored with acai, berry, and pomegranate flavors.
9. Pure Synergy Organics Beet Juice Powder: This beet powder is made from fresh, organic beets and cold pressed into juice. Low temperature drying methods are used to transform the juice into powder. This process is done in a way that preserves much of the nutrients the beets contain. It is free of dairy, gluten, and GMOs. It is certified vegan as well. This powder is a bit pricier than other options, but it is high in quality.
10. BioFinest Beetroot Powder: BioFinest’s beet root powder is made from only one ingredient: beetroots. The beets they use to make this powder are grown in the united States. Like many other powders on this list, it is organic, gluten-free, non-GMO, kosher, and vegan. It is made with quality in mind. It is relatively easy on the wallet, too.
11. Purity Natural Beauty Beet Root Powder: This beet powder is made from certified organic beetroots. It is vegan, non-GMO, and gluten free certified. It can easily dissolve into water and is said to taste great. It comes in a large 1 lb bag, but is still affordable, providing good value for your money.
12. Human SuperBeets Energy Plus: This beet powder is designed to give you a natural boost of energy. It contains green tea extract to give you just the right amount of caffeine to keep you energized. Better yet, it is made from non-GMO beet grown in the United States. It also has natural berry flavors to make it taste good.
13. Love Beets Beet Powder: The Love Beets beet powder is a good option to consider when buying beet powder. It combines quality and a relatively good price to give you genuine value for your money. This powder is made from 100% pure beetroots. It is vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, and has no added sugars, flavorings, or preservatives. It is a simple, quality beet powder perfect for dietary supplementation.
14. Microingredients Superfood Beet juice Powder: This beet powder is made from fresh beet juice, which is its only ingredient. It contains no fillers, additives, or preservative. It is also packed in an FDA registered facility. It is also of good quality due to its lack of gluten and GMO ingredients. It is slightly more expensive than its competitors but may be worth the money thanks to its quality and purity.
15. Green Foods Beet Essence: Green Foods is a company that specializes on providing wholesome, healthy dietary supplements using natural ingredients. Their beet essence is a natural, organic, vegan, soy and gluten free powder made from beetroots. It uses ingredients grown in the United States. It can be found on the Green Foods website and shipped right to your door.
16. Barry Farm Red Beet Powder: Barry Farm’s is a simple, family farm that produces and sells wholesome foods and products. It uses no chemicals in their farming, which includes in their beet production. Their beet powder is pure: made up of only cooked, dried beets. They are also relatively affordable. Although they are a smaller company, this product can still be easily accessed online.
17. Luxycor Nutrition Organic Beet Root Powder: Last but not least is this Luxycor Nutrition Beet root Powder. This powder follows the trend of being organic, gluten-free, vegan, and GMO-free. Its only ingredient is organic beet roots. It is has an average price tag compared to its competitors and has the quality and positive reviews to be able to compete on the market. It is also easily bought online.