For the past several decades, people across the country have known that eating egg yolks can certainly cause health problems. While many people have made an effort to cut eggs completely out of their diet, eggs are an extremely important source of protein, vitamins and minerals. Excessive egg yolks in your diet can clog your arteries and egg yolks are certainly not recommended for people who are at a high risk for cardiovascular disease. However egg whites have a much lower cholesterol level and offer several important benefits to your health. If you are tired of eating egg white omelets every morning, egg white protein powder is one way to benefit from the vitamins and nutrients found in egg white while also avoiding most of the upwards of 200 mg of cholesterol found in each egg yolk.
In this short article we will take a look at why it is important to include egg white protein powder in your diet and also offer some suggestions for what to look for in a quality egg white protein powder product. Furthermore, we will list the top 10 benefits of egg white protein powder, consider any possible negative side effects to including this product in your diet, and end by looking at the top 14 egg white protein powder products currently being sold on the market.
Why It is Important to Include Egg White Protein Powder in Your Diet?
The American Heart Association recommends that most people limit their cholesterol intake to no more than 300 mg per day. One large chicken egg most likely contains between 200 and 225 mg of cholesterol so that hearty three egg omelet that you eat in the morning will more than double the recommended amount of cholesterol intake. As we mentioned above, however, the majority of that cholesterol is concentrated in the egg yolk.
Egg whites, on the other hand, are extremely low in calories, have almost no cholesterol, while also delivering a needed dose of protein. Furthermore, for people who do not consume much meat, egg white protein powder can deliver amino acids that are not naturally produced by your body, but are needed for optimum health. The egg white from one average egg offers between 15 and 18 calories, about 3.5 grams of protein, and zero fat. Additionally, egg white are an important source of selenium which helps improve cognitive function and fertility. This important trace mineral is also essential to help prevent cardiovascular disease, thyroid problems, cognitive decline, and cancer.
The problem, of course, is that most people don’t have the time or energy to separate their eggs every morning when making an omelet or when cooking other recipes that call for egg whites. Egg white protein powder, then, is a great option that allows you to get the above-mentioned health benefits of egg whites in a simple and easy to take supplement.
What to Look for in a Quality Egg White Protein Powder?
If you have decided to include egg white protein powder in your diet, it is important to search for products that have the following qualities.
- Make sure that the egg white protein powder you buy is GMO free. GMO food products have been linked with certain health problems, and many times scientists are simply not sure of the long-term effects of consuming these products.
- Search for egg white protein powder that doesn’t contain any artificial flavors. This supplement is not supposed to be a delectable delight, but rather a simple supplement to deliver you needed protein and nutrition. Some artificial flavors on the market could be toxic or even potentially carcinogenic.
- If possible, search for egg white protein products that source their eggs from farms that are UEP certified. The United Eggs Producers Certification is given to farmers who demonstrate a solid commitment to hen well-being, and have developed guidelines for optimal hen care backed by decades of research. Some producers will also market their products as coming from free range eggs. Free range eggs are generally healthier as hens will have been given a more varied, organic diet.
Top 10 Benefits of Egg White Protein Powder
Besides offering needed protein and other minerals without the added cholesterol and calories, what are some of the other health benefits of consuming egg white protein powder? Below, we look at the top 10 known benefits of this important health supplement.
1. Healthy Source of Protein: Many sources of protein in the modern-day diet are also extremely high in saturated fats and cholesterol that can lead to coronary heart disease and other heart problems. Egg white protein powder, however, delivers an optimum amount of protein that is low in calories, cholesterol, and bad fats.
2. Can Actually Lower Your Cholesterol Levels: By cutting out regular eggs from your diet and focusing on only eating egg white protein powder, you could actually reduce your cholesterol levels. One recent study found that men who only ate egg white drastically reduced their cholesterol levels and thus lowered their risk for diseases such as arteriosclerotic disease.
3. Can Lead to Healthy Babies: Pregnant women need a healthy dose of protein in their diet. This study found that women who ate high levels of protein during their pregnant were at less risk for premature babies. Since egg whites contain around 4 grams of protein, egg white protein powder might be a good supplement for pregnant women.
4. Helps You Avoid Overeating: By taking egg white protein powder in the morning, your body is getting a needed dose of protein that will keep you feeling satiated. This helps you to avoid snacking throughout the day which can lead to problems with obesity.
5. Great Source of Vitamins and Minerals: Egg whites are also a great source of vitamins and minerals that our bodies need. Besides being an important source of selenium as we mentioned above, they are also extremely high in vitamins A, B, D, and E.
6. Can Help to Build Muscle: For athletes, body builders, and people who enjoy working out at the gym on a regular basis, taking egg white protein powder about 30 minutes after you finish a workout, run, or other physical activity can help you rebuild and repair the muscle tissue that was exercised. This in turn can help you to build muscle and stay physically fit.
7. Increases Potassium and Electrolyte Levels: Your body needs potassium to make sure you have enough electrolytes. Electrolytes help muscle function, improves your overall heart healthy, and protect the cells in your body. Egg whites are a good source of potassium, especially if combined with a banana at breakfast.
8. Promotes Skin Health: While egg white protein powder offers several internal health benefits, it is also good for your skin and can be used as a facial mask. Egg whites naturally contain high levels of collagen which offer a natural moisturizer and UV protection for your skin. One recent study found that the protein and collagen in egg whites can actually reduce the frequency of wrinkles being caused by the sun.
9. A Good Source of Riboflavin: Furthermore, egg white protein powder is also a good and important source of riboflavin with one egg white delivering up to 9 percent of the daily recommended value. Riboflavin is important for our health because it break down carbohydrates, proteins and fats to produce energy, and it allows oxygen to be used by the body.
10. A Perfect Protein Structure: Egg whites are a complete protein complete with all nine essential amino acids, including histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan and valine, and others. Many nutritionists consider egg whites to be the perfect protein for the body.
Are There Any Possible Negative Side Effects to Egg White Protein Powder?
Egg white protein powder is generally considered to be a completely safe thing to eat. The only health concern that has come up in the past is related to potential contamination of egg whites by salmonella. However, egg white protein powder products will avoid this potential danger through thoroughly processing their eggs while making the protein powder.
Of course, people who have a natural allergy to eggs and egg products should also avoid egg white protein powder.
Top 14 Best Egg White Protein Powder Options
1. Julian Bakery: This Paleo protein powder is completely soy free and sourced from eggs from farms in the United States. The eggs are also GMO free and only contains two ingredients: egg white protein powder and sunflower lecithin.
2. Bulk Supplements: For people who love egg white protein powder this product can actually be purchased in a 50 pound bag for a long-term source of healthy protein in your diet. It also includes no fillers and is lactose free.
3. Judee´s Gluten Free: Judee´s Gluten Free products also offers a high quality egg white protein powder product. They also offer bulk products sold in either 4 or 40 pound packages. Their egg white protein powder only contains a small amount of Sunflower Lecithin so that the egg whites will dissolve in water for making shakes or smoothies. The protein powder is both GMO and soy free and is sourced from UEP certified egg farmers.
4. NOW Sports: This egg white protein powder is the perfect option for athletes and bodybuilders looking for a great source of protein. It is pure egg white protein and contains less than 1 gram of fat and carbs per serving. It is also certified GMO free.
5. Jay Robb: This egg white protein powder offered by the company Jay Robb is naturally flavored in vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate options. It helps to build new muscles while also supporting the metabolisms of athletes and others who are physical active. For people who want the most natural option, they also offer an unflavored option.
6. MRM: MRM is another company offering a quality and delicious vanilla flavored egg white protein powder. This product is completely lactose free, gluten free, and is full of the most essential amino acids and sulfur-containing proteins that are naturally occurring in egg whites.
7. Muscle Pharm: While this product is not only made from egg white protein powder, it is one of the best sources of high packed protein supplements. Besides containing large amounts of egg white protein, it also contains other important and healthy protein sources including whey, casein, and isolate. For athletes, this product is a great choice as it is certified by Informed Choice that it does not include any banned substances.
8. Five Percent Nutrition: This unique egg white protein product actually comes in a crystal form. It is made from 100% pure egg whites that need zero refrigeration. You can choose to get your dose of daily protein either by adding these soluble crystals to a shake or cooking as an egg.
9. Trade King: Trade King is another company specializing in egg white protein powder supplement. Their powder has a unique vanilla flavor with a minimum amount of added sugar. It also contains no artificial ingredients whatsoever while delivering a potent source of complete protein for your diet.
10. Anthony´s: For people looking for a simple, no frills product, Anthony´s Egg White Protein Powder is about as straightforward as it gets. This non GMO and gluten free product can be taken as a supplement or actually adding into baked goods that call for eggs. This is a great way to continue using eggs in your diet while avoiding the high cholesterol associated with egg yolks.
11. Naked Nutrition: This great product contains no additives and delivers 44 servings of high quality egg white protein powder nutrition. Furthermore, this egg white protein comes from eggs raised on US farms and contains no artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors. The eggs used in this powder are processed in under a day to maintain the highest and most complete amino acid profile including 5.8 grams of BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) per serving.
12. Smart 138: This egg white protein powder is made in the USA and contains no added sugar, artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors. Each serving delivers 25 grams of protein, 4 carbs, no grams of sugar, and over 5 grams of BCAAs. Their natural vanilla flavor is also delicious without any artificial sweeteners.
13. Live Well Compass: This egg white protein powder actually comes as a shake that is made ready to prepare. Egg white protein powder is great for encouraging muscle growth, but it doesn’t always have the best taste. This product, however, contains a delicious vanilla bean flavored protein that we guarantee you’ll love or your money back. Each scoop of this pure egg-white protein provides 25 grams of protein and only 4 grams of carbohydrates.
14. Life Balance: Lastly, Life Balance offers another great egg white protein powder product. This high source of protein nutrition comes in an 8 ounce container and can easily be mixed into smoothies or protein shakes.